How To Play
What Is Needed:
- 52-Card Deck
- Poker Chips
- 2-20 Players
- A dealer button
- The two players to the left of the dealer put out blind bets. The player directly to the dealer's left
puts out the small blind while the second player to the dealer's left puts out the big blind.
- Every player is dealt two cards, face down. These are called pocket cards.
- The action, or the first move, falls on the player to the left of the big blind. The player can either call the
bet, raise it, or fold. Betting continues around the table, clockwise.
- After the betting is completed, the dealer burns and three cards are dealt face up in the center of the table, which is referred to
as the board. The first three cards in Texas Hold'em are called the flop. These cards are "community cards" meaning
everyone can (and will) use them in combination with their own pocket cards to make the best hand.
- From the flop on, betting begins with the player to the dealer's left, who can check, bet, fold or call if someone has
previously raised during this round of betting.
- The dealer burns one card and fourth card is dealt face up onto the board. This is called the turn.
- Another round of betting
- The dealer burns again and the final card is dealt face up. This card is also called the river.
- A final round of betting occurs. The remaining players show their cards and the person who can make the best five card
hand by combining their pocket cards with the cards on the board wins.
- Dealing then restarts for those who wish to continue playing and still have chips remaining.
Types of Five Card Hands
Ranked from Weaskest to Strongest
- High Card: No card has the same rank and all five cards do not share the same suit.
- One Pair: Two cards of the same rank.
- Two Pair: Two cards of the same rank and another two cards of the same rank.
- Three-of-a-Kind (a.k.a. Trips): Three cards of the same rank.
- Straight: Five cards of sequential rank. Note that in holdem, Aces can be either the highest or lowest card in the game.
- Flush: Five cards of the same suit.
- Full House (a.k.a. Boat): Three-of-a-kind and a pair.
- Four-of-a-Kind (a.k.a. quads, bomb): Four cards of the same rank.
- Straight Flush: A straight of entirely one suit.
- Royal Flush: An Ace-High straight of one suit.