Selected Recent Publications
- Goe, M., Tomaszewski, B. & Gaustad, G. (2013) Making Decisions under Uncertainty: Infrastructure Planning. ArcUser 16(1): 20-23. html
- Tomaszewski, B., & MacEachren, A. (2012) Geovisual Analytics to Support Crisis Management: Information Foraging for Geo-Historical Context. Information Visualization 11(4): 339-359. html
- Tomaszewski, B. and Holden, E. (2012) The Geographic Information Science and Technology and Information Technology Bodies of Knowledge: An Ontological Alignment. 13th Annual Conference on Information Technology Education Calgary, Alberta, Canada. pdf
- Arnold, G., B. Carlock, M. Harris, A. Romney, M. Rosa, J. Zollweg, A. Vodacek and B. Tomaszewski (2012) GIS Modeling of Social Vulnerability in Burkina Faso. ArcUser 15(1): 20-23. html
- Bouchard, B., & Tomaszewski, B. (2012) Automated GLIDE Number Resource Consolidation for Rapid Disaster Location Identification Poster presented at the 9th International Conference of the International Association For The Study Of Information Systems For Crisis Response And Management (ISCRAM), Vancouver, Canada
pdf; Video related to this work
- Tomaszewski, B., Blanford, J., Ross, K., Pezanowski, S. and MacEachren, A. (2011) Supporting Rapid Sense Making in Diverse Web Document Foraging Computers, Environment and Urban Systems.
- Tomaszewski, B. and A. MacEachren (2010). Geo-Historical Context Support for Information Foraging and Sensemaking: Conceptual Model, Implementation, and Assessment. IEEE Conference on Visual Analytics Science and Technology (IEEE VAST). Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
- Tomaszewski, B. and M. E. Smith (2010). Polities, territory and historical change in Postclassic Matlatzinco (Toluca Valley, central Mexico). Journal of Historical Geography 37(1): 22-39.
- Tomaszewski, B.(2010). Geocollaboration. Encyclopedia of Geography.
- Tomaszewski, B. (2010). Situation Awareness and Virtual Globes: Applications for Disaster Management. Computers and Geosciences 37(1): 86-92.
- Tomaszewski, B. (2009). Managing Multiple Point-based Data Instances on a Single Coordinate in Mapping Mashups. Proceedings of the 24th International Cartography Conference (ICC), Santiago, Chile.
- Tomaszewski, B. (2009). A Geovisual Analytics Approach for Producing Geo-Historical Context. Doctoral Dissertation, Department of Geography. Penn State University, University Park, PA. pdf
- Tomaszewski, B. and L. Czárán (2009). Geographically Visualizing Consolidated Appeal Process (CAP) Information. Proceedings of the 6th International ISCRAM Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden: 6 pages. pdf
- Tomaszewski, B. (2008) Producing Geo-historical Context from Implicit Sources: A Geovisual Analytics Approach, The Cartographic Journal 45(3): 165-181. pdf
- Tomaszewski, B., C. Pan, P. Mitra and A. M. MacEachren (2007). Facilitating Situation Assessment through GIR with Multi-scale Open Source Web Documents in Proceedings of the 4th ACM workshop on Geographical Information Retrieval (GIR '07) Lisbon, Portugal, ACM: 95-96. pdf
- Tomaszewski, B., A. C. Robinson, C. Weaver, M. Stryker and A. M. MacEachren (2007). Geovisual Analytics and Crisis Management. Proceedings of the 4th International Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (ISCRAM) Conference. Delft, the Netherlands: 173-179. pdf
- Tomaszewski, B. (2006) A Cost-Effective Approach to GPS/GIS Integration for Archaeological Surveying. ArcNews 28(3): 19-20. html
- Tomaszewski, B. (2006) Reconstructing Aztec Political Geographies. ArcUser 9(1): 24-26. html
- The Freedom Trail Project; On-going project in collaboration with Richard Newman, Department of History, RIT
- A Practical Approach to Mapping Job Growth in the GIS Industry; Esri GIS Education Community Blog, June 2012; Video related to this work
- Visualization and modeling using geospatial disaster response products; - Presentation for the Information Products Laboratory for Emergency Response (IPLER) & Center for Geohazards Studies 2012 Joint Workshop on Disaster Response, May 2012
- Dr. Jen Ziemke, co-founder and co-director of the International Network of Crisis Mappers speaks at RIT; - RIT University News, April 2012
- Knowledge Management Tool Aids UN Disaster Management; - Research at RIT, November 2011
- Using Geospatial Technologies to Explore Geography in the Thousand Islands; - RIT University News, July 2011
- You Are Here: How Digital Maps Are Changing the Landscape of the 21st Century; Popular Science article I am quoted discussing the 2010 Nicaragua/Costa Rica Google Maps issues, December 2010
- Article about the Context Discovery Application published in iVac (Integrated Visualization and Analytics Community), December 2010
- Researcher develops new disaster response technology for United Nations - RIT University News, June 2010
- Gateway, Bridge and Facilitator - Piece on UN-SPIDER I wrote for GIM International, Vol. 24, Issue 3.
- Geocaching: Using multi-million-dollar satellites to find Tupperware in the woods - RIT Reporter Magazine story on geocaching where I discuss geocaching
- Progress on the Visual Globe and Space-Aid Matrix. Invited presentation given for Third United Nations International UN-SPIDER Bonn, Germany Workshop titled "Disaster Management and Space Technology - From Concepts to Application" that discusses research/software development work I conducted with the UN-SPIDER Program
- Livonia Students Learn to Map Disasters with Geographic and Imaging Systems - RIT University News story on GIS outreach event I facilitated for High School students
- UN System Staff Worldwide KML Layer - Google Earth KML Layer I built for the United Nations using an automated map created procedure and hosted on the website of the United Nations System Chief Executives Board for Coordination
- Student Research in Visual Analytics For A Safer Nation - Audio recording (in part) of me doing a presentation at the 2009 DHS University Network Summit, Washington, D.C.
- Humanitarian Vacancies Mapping Application - mapping mashup Brian Tomaszewski built for United Nations ReliefWeb group
- 2009 - Emerging Applications and Challenges for Geovisual Analytics Research. Invited presentation given for RIT Research Computing Seminar Series, Rochester, NY pdf
- 2009 - Getting lost - a thing of the past? The social implications of ubiquitous geo-information technologies. Invited presentation given for Nazareth College Sociology and Anthropology speakers series, Rochester, NY pdf
- 2006 - Interactive Historical Geography: A Non-Linear Spatiotemporal Exploration Of Multi-Contextual Markings Through Geocaching. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Association of Geographers, Chicago, IL pdf
- 2006 - Sweet Home Chicago: The Geography of the Blues. Field trip developed for the annual meeting of the American Association of Geographers, Chicago, IL html
- Ph.D., Geography, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 2009
- MA, Geography (concentration in GIS), University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, 2005
- BA, Anthropology and Mediterranean Archaeology, University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany, New York, 1994