Gill R Tsouri
Department of Electrical & Microelectronic Engineering
Kate Gleason College of Engineering (KGCOE)
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
Email: grteee [at] rit [dot] edu
I received my BSc, MSc and PhD degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Ben-Gurion University, Israel in 2000, 2004 and 2008 respectively. From 1998 to 2002 I was with Yitran Communications, where I developed power-line communication technologies. In September 2008 I joined the Department of Electrical & Microelectronic Engineering, Kate Gleason College of Engineering at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) where I am now a tenured Associate Professor. My research and teaching interests are in the general areas of Communications and Signal Processing.
Current Research Areas
Wireless Body Area Networks (WBAN).
Wireless Physical Layer Security (WPLS).
Non-contact Physiological Monitoring.
Current Graduate Students
Ruslan Dautov (Ph.D.)
Stephanie Zambito (MS)
Cigdem Polat (MS)
Quang Huynh (MS)
Principal Investigator on Funded Projects
Investigation of Waveguide Effects in Intra-Vehicular Environments
Sponsor: General Motors – Advanced Technical Center (Israel) ; September 2013 - July 2014
Gill R. Tsouri (PI) and Jayanti Venkataraman (co-PI)
Feasibility Study of Novel Driver’s and Passengers’ Heart Rate Detection Methods Using RGB Cameras for Use in Cars
Sponsor: General Motors – Advanced Technical Center (Israel) ; August 2013 – February 2014
Gill R. Tsouri (PI)
Low Power Signal Processing Algorithms
Sponsor: nBn Technologies ; 2012-2013
Gill R. Tsouri (PI)
Image Processing for Non-Invasive Medical Triage
Sponsor: Xerox ; 2010-2011
Gill R. Tsouri (PI) & Sohail Dianat (co-PI)
Novel Wireless Personal Area Network with Application to Electrocardiography
Sponsor: Blue HighWay (a Welch-Allyn company) ; 2009-2012
Gill R. Tsouri (PI)
RFID Monitoring in Healthcare Environments
Sponsor: Rochester General Health System (RGH) ; 2009
Gill R. Tsouri (PI) & Edward Walsh, MD (PI)
All manuscripts are copyrighted by the authors or the journals in which they were published. You may copy a manuscript for scholarly non-commercial purposes provided that you respect these copyrights.
- G. R. Tsouri and Z. Li, "On the Benefits of Alternative Color Spaces for Noncontact Heart Rate Measurements using RGB Video Cameras", accepted for publication in SPIE Journal of Biomedical Optics, 2015.
- R. Dautov and G. R. Tsouri, "Securing while Sampling in Wireless Body Area Networks with Application to Electrocardiography", accepted for publication in IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 2015.
- G. R. Tsouri and O. Maimon, "Respiration Rate Estimation from Channel State Information in Wireless Body Area Networks", IET Electronics Letters, May 2014.
- G. R. Tsouri and M. Ostertag, "Patient-Specific 12-lead ECG Reconstruction from Sparse Electrodes using Independent Component Analysis", IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Mar. 2014.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. M. Wagner, "Threshold Constraints on Symmetric Key Extraction from Rician Fading Estimates", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Dec. 2013.
- G. R. Tsouri, A. Prieto and N. Argade, "On Increasing Network Lifetime in Body Area Networks using Global Routing with Balancing of Energy Consumption", Sensors 2012, 12, 13088-13108 (special issue on Body Sensor Networks for Healthcare and Pervasive
- G. R. Tsouri, S. Kyal, S. Dianat and L. K. Mestha, "Constrained-ICA Approach to Non-Obtrusive Pulse Rate Measurements", SPIE Journal of Biomedical Optics, July 2012 ; DOI.
- R. Johnson, G. R. Tsouri and E. Walsh, "Continuous and Automated Measuring of Compliance of Hand-Hygiene Procedures Using Finite State Machines and RFID", IEEE Instrumentation & Measurement Magazine, Apr. 2012.
- G. R. Tsouri, A. Sapio and J. Wilczewski, "An Investigation into Relaying of Creeping Waves for Reliable Low-Power Body Sensor Networking", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, Aug. 2011.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Securing OFDM over Wireless Time-Varying Channels using Sub-Carrier Over-Loading with Joint Signal Constellations", Eurasip Journal on Wireless Communications & Networking - Special Issue on Wireless Physical Layer Security, Volume 2009, Article ID 437824, 2009.
- G. R. Tsouri, D. Wulich and L. Goldfeld, "Enabling Dual Branch Switched Diversity in Compact Wireless Devices", IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Nov. 2008.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Capacity Analysis and Optimisation of OFDM with Distortionless PAPR Reduction", European Transactions on Telecommunications (ETT), Aug. 2008.
- M. S. Shamim, A. Mhatre, N. Mansoor, A. Ganguly and G. R. Tsouri, "Temperature-aware Wireless Network-on-Chip Architecture", IEEE International Green Computing Conference (IGCC), Nov. 2014.
- C. Torbit, K. Tomsic, J. Venkataraman, G. R. Tsouri, M. Laifenfeld and M. Dziatczak, "Investigation of Waveguide Effects in Intra-Vehicular Environments", IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), Jul. 2014.
- G. R. Tsouri and M. Laifenfeld, "Global Routing with Energy Balancing in Intra-Vehicular Environment", IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems (COMCAS) - Special Session on Automotive Communication, Oct. 2013.
- N. Argade and G. R. Tsouri, "Dynamic Routing Trees with Energy Harvesting Constraints for Wireless Body Area Networks", 8th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BODYNETS), Sept. 2013.
- R. Dautov and G. R. Tsouri,"Establishing Secure Measurement Matrix for Compressed Sensing using Wireless Physical Layer Security", IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), Jan. 2013.
- G. R. Tsouri, A. Prieto and N. Argade, "A Modified Dijkstra's Routing Algorithm for Increasing Network Lifetime in Wireless Body Area Networks", in 7th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BODYNETS), Sept. 2012.
- G. R. Tsouri and R. Dautov,"Evaluation of an Efficient Collision Resolving Protocol", IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems (COMCAS), Nov. 2011.
- G. R. Tsouri and J. Wilczewski,"Reliable Symmetric Key Generation for Body Area Networks using Wireless Physical Layer Security in the Presence of an On-Body Eavesdropper
", 4th International Symposium on Applied Sciences in Biomedical and Communication Technologies (ISABEL) - Invited Paper, Oct. 2011.
- M. H. Ostertag and G. R. Tsouri,"Reconstructing ECG Precordial Leads from a Reduced Lead Set using Independent Component Analysis", 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Sept. 2011.
- S. E. Lyshevski and G. R. Tsouri,"Molecular and BioMolecular Communication: Optical Waveguides and Possible Role of Microtubules", IEEE NANO 2011 Conference (NANO), Aug. 2011.
- G. R. Tsouri,"Towards Implementing a Fully Wireless Multiple-Lead Electrocardiograph", 5th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BODYNETS) - Invited Paper, Sept. 2010.
- M. Pecoraro, J. Venkataraman, G. R. Tsouri and S. Dianat,"Characterization of the Effects of the Human Head on Communication with Implanted Antennas", IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, July 2010.
- A. Sapio and G. R. Tsouri, "Low Power Body Sensor Network for Wireless ECG Based on Relaying of Creeping Waves at 2.4GHz", International Conference on Body Sensor Networks (BSN), June 2010.
- G. R. Tsouri and A. Sapio, "Method of Securing Resource-Constrained Wireless Enabled Devices via Channel Randomness", IEEE 28th International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), Jan. 2010.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "On Adaptive Biasing of Linear Power Amplifiers in Devices with OFDM Transceivers", IEEE 28th International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), Jan. 2010.
- R. Dabora, D. Wulich and G. R. Tsouri, "On Increasing Spectral Efficiency of Frequency Division Multiple Access Using Synchronized Superposition-Modulation", IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems (COMCAS), Nov. 2009.
- G. R. Tsouri, "Securing Wireless Communication with Implanted Medical Devices", IEEE International WoWMoM Workshop on Interdisciplinary Research on E-Health Services and Systems, May 2009.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Impact of Linear Power Amplifier Efficiency on Capacity of OFDM Systems with Clipping", IEEE 25th Convention of Electrical and Electronics Engineering in Israel, Dec. 2008.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Efficient Coding of Side Information for Selected Mapping PAPR Reduction", IEEE Wireless Telecommunications Symposium (WTS), Apr. 2008.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Reverse Piloting Protocol for Securing Wireless Time Varying Channels", IEEE Wireless Telecommunications Symposium (WTS), Apr. 2008.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "A Physical Transmission Security Layer for Wireless Multiple Access Communication Systems", European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO) - special session, Sep. 2007.
- D. Wulich and G. R. Tsouri, "Is PAPR Reduction Always Justified for OFDM?", European Wireless Conference (EW) - invited paper, Apr. 2007.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Wireless Channel Access through Jointly Formed Signal Constellations", IEEE Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), Sep. 2006.
- G. R. Tsouri, D. Wulich and L. Goldfeld, "Enhancing Switched Diversity Systems", IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop (SAM), July 2004.
- D. Wulich, L. Goldfeld and G. R. Tsouri, "Peak to Average Power Ratio in Digital Communications", IST mobile & Wireless Communication Summit, June 2003.
- G. R. Tsouri, S. Dianat, Rochester Institute of Technology, "Method and System for Contactless Detection of Cardiac Activity", US Patent Pending, Mar. 2014.
- G. R. Tsouri, D. Wulich, SigNexT Wireless "Joint Constellation Multiple Access", US 8,223,882B2, 2012.
- S. Kyal, L. Mesta, G. R. Tsouri, S. Dianat, Xerox Corp., "Estimating Cardiac Pulse Recovery From Multi-Channel Source Data Via Constrained Source Separation", US 13/247,683 Patent Pending, Sept. 2011.
- G. R. Tsouri, Rochester Institute of Technology, "Methods for Monitoring Procedure Compliance and Apparatuses Thereof", US Patent Pending, 2010.
- D. Wulich, G. R. Tsouri, Ron Dabora, SigNexT Wireless, "Using Maximal Sum-Rate Mutual Information to Optimize JCMA Constellations", PCT/IB2010/054991, Apr. 2010.
- G. R. Tsouri, Rochester Institute of Technology, "Methods Establishing a Symmetric Encryption Key and Systems Thereof", US 2010/0313025A1, 2009.
- G. R. Tsouri, "Wireless Body Area Network", The Rochester Engineer - Feature Article, Feb. 2014.
- G. R. Tsouri, "Optimized OFDM for Wireless Time Varying Channels," Ph.D. dissertation - Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva Israel, 2008.
- G. R. Tsouri, "Enhancing Switched Diversity Systems," M.Sc. thesis - Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva Israel, 2004.
- Introduction to Communication Systems (undergrad).
- Digital Data Communication (graduate).
- Communication Networks (graduate).
- Wireless Communications (graduate).
Service & Outreach Activities
- Research Proposal Reviewer, Israel Science Foundation (ISF), 2013.
- Program Committee Vice Chair (Special Session on Energy Harvesting in BANs) and Special Sessions Chair: 8th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BodyNets 2013), September 2013.
- Technical Program Track Chair (Networking and Communication Track): 7th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BodyNets 2012), September 2012.
- BodyNets 2012, Session Chair: "Wearable Computing" & Panelist: "Bodynets 5 Years From Now", September 2012.
- Research Proposal Review Panelist, National Science Foundation (NSF), Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) Program, 2012 and 2013.
- IEEE Globecom 2011, session chair: "Communications & System Security Symposium: Secure Routing II", December 2011.
- Associate Editor for Elsevier's Journal of Computers and Electrical Engineering, 2009-2012.
- Guest Editor for Journal of Computer Networks and Communications - Special Issue on Spectrally Efficient Digital Communication in the Presence of Nonlinear Distortion.
- Reviewer for IEEE/SPIE Journals, Transactions and Conferences.
- Faculty Advisor for IEEE RIT Student Chapter (2009-present).
- Member of E3 Engineering and Technology Fair organizing committee (2012 - present).
Membership in Professional Societies
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- American Association for Engineering Education (ASEE)
Past Graduate Students
- Kyle Tomsic (MS 2014) - Thesis: Analysis of the Effects of Pre- and Post-Processing Methods on vPPG (Joined: Lexmark).
- Zheng Li (MS 2014) - Grad Paper: Performance of Video Plethysmography Techniques in Alternative Color Spaces (Joined: Bendix).
- Michael Ostertag (MS 2014) - Thesis: ECG-Leads Reconstruction using Independent Component Analysis (Joined: Blackbox Biometrics).
- Puey Wei Tan (MS 2013) - Thesis: Low Power Off-Body Link for Wireless Body Area Networks (joined: Fidelity Investments)
- Nikhil Argade (MS 2013) - Thesis: Global Routing Algorithms for Body Area Networks (Joined: Apple).
- Survi Kyal (MS 2012) - Thesis: Constrained Independent Component Analysis for Non-Obtrusive Pulse Rate Measurements Using a Webcam. Co-supervised with Dr. Dianat (Joined: Xerox Corporation).
- Alvaro Prieto (MS 2011) - Thesis: Efficient Routing for On-Body Communication (Joined: Texas Instruments).
- Jeffery Wilczewski (MS 2011) - Thesis: Experimental Investigation into Novel Methods of Reliable and Secure On-Body Communications with Low System Overheads (Joined: GE Microwave Data Systems).
- Ruslan Dautov (MS 2011) - Thesis: Efficient Collision Resolution Protocol for Highly Populated Wireless Networks (Joined: RIT CS PhD Program).
- Ryan Johnson (MS 2010) - Grad Paper: Radio Identification Technologies in Healthcare with Applications for Handwashing Compliance Monitoring (Joined: GE Microwave Data Systems).
- David Wagner (MS 2010) - Thesis: Analysis of Symmetric Key Establishment based on Reciprocal Channel Quantization (Joined: Harris RF).
- Michael Pecoraro (MS 2010) - Thesis: Channel Modelling for Inner-Body Communication. Co-supervised with Dr. Venkataraman and Dr. Dianat (Joined: Syracuse Research Corporation).
- Adrian Sapio (MS 2010) - Thesis: Low Power Body Sensor Network Design Based on Relaying of Creeping Waves in the Unlicensed 2.4GHz Band (Joined: Johns Hopkins University-Applied Physics Laboratory).