Gill R Tsouri
Department of Electrical & Microelectronic Engineering
Kate Gleason College of Engineering (KGCOE)
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
Email: grteee [at] rit [dot] edu
I received my BSc, MSc and PhD degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Ben-Gurion University, Israel in 2000, 2004 and 2008 respectively. From 1998 to 2002 I was with Yitran Communications, where I developed power-line communication technologies. In September 2008 I joined the Department of Electrical & Microelectronic Engineering, Kate Gleason College of Engineering at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) where I am now a tenured Associate Professor. My research and teaching interests are in the general areas of Communications and Signal Processing.
Current Research Areas
Wireless Body Area Networks (WBAN).
Non-contact Physiological Monitoring.
Wireless Physical Layer Security (WPLS).
* See link to the BlueScan Android App written by MS Student Cigdem Polat: Link.
Current Graduate Students
Ruslan Dautov (Ph.D.)
Jairo Hernandez Guzman (MS)
Mike Snook (MS)
Funded Projects as Principal Investigator (total of $790K)
Inter Beat Interval Cardiac Monitoring using Facial Videoplethysmography ($390K)
Sponsor: Google - ATAP; 2015
Gill R. Tsouri (PI) and Jean-Philipe Couderc (URMC)
Investigation of Waveguide Effects in Intra-Vehicular Environments ($18K)
Sponsor: General Motors – Advanced Technical Center (Israel) ; September 2013 - July 2014
Gill R. Tsouri (PI) and Jayanti Venkataraman (co-PI)
Feasibility Study of Novel Driver’s and Passengers’ Heart Rate Detection Methods Using RGB Cameras for Use in Cars ($15K)
Sponsor: General Motors – Advanced Technical Center (Israel) ; August 2013 – February 2014
Gill R. Tsouri (PI)
Low Power Signal Processing Algorithms ($79K)
Sponsor: nBn Technologies ; 2012-2013
Gill R. Tsouri (PI)
Image Processing for Non-Invasive Medical Triage ($48K)
Sponsor: Xerox ; 2010-2011
Gill R. Tsouri (PI) & Sohail Dianat (co-PI)
Novel Wireless Personal Area Network with Application to Electrocardiography ($220K)
Sponsor: Blue HighWay (a Welch-Allyn company) ; 2009-2012
Gill R. Tsouri (PI)
RFID Monitoring in Healthcare Environments ($20K)
Sponsor: Rochester General Health System (RGH) ; 2009
Gill R. Tsouri (PI) and Edward Walsh, MD (RGH,URMC)
All manuscripts are copyrighted by the authors or the journals in which they were published. You may copy a manuscript for scholarly non-commercial purposes provided that you respect these copyrights.
- A. S. Decker, G. C. Cipriano, G. R. Tsouri and J. Lavigne, "Monitoring Pharmacy Student Adherence to World Health Organization Hand Hygiene Indications Using Radio Frequency Identification", accepted for publication in American journal of pharmaceutical education, 2015.
- R. Dautov and G. R. Tsouri, "Securing while Sampling in Wireless Body Area Networks with Application to Electrocardiography", accepted for publication in IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 2015.
- G. R. Tsouri and Z. Li, "On the Benefits of Alternative Color Spaces for Noncontact Heart Rate Measurements using RGB Video Cameras", SPIE Journal of Biomedical Optics, Apr. 2015.
- G. R. Tsouri and O. Maimon, "Respiration Rate Estimation from Channel State Information in Wireless Body Area Networks", IET Electronics Letters, May 2014.
- G. R. Tsouri and M. Ostertag, "Patient-Specific 12-lead ECG Reconstruction from Sparse Electrodes using Independent Component Analysis", IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Mar. 2014.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. M. Wagner, "Threshold Constraints on Symmetric Key Extraction from Rician Fading Estimates", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Dec. 2013.
- G. R. Tsouri, A. Prieto and N. Argade, "On Increasing Network Lifetime in Body Area Networks using Global Routing with Balancing of Energy Consumption", Sensors 2012, 12, 13088-13108 (special issue on Body Sensor Networks for Healthcare and Pervasive
- G. R. Tsouri, S. Kyal, S. Dianat and L. K. Mestha, "Constrained-ICA Approach to Non-Obtrusive Pulse Rate Measurements", SPIE Journal of Biomedical Optics, July 2012 ; DOI.
- R. Johnson, G. R. Tsouri and E. Walsh, "Continuous and Automated Measuring of Compliance of Hand-Hygiene Procedures Using Finite State Machines and RFID", IEEE Instrumentation & Measurement Magazine, Apr. 2012.
- G. R. Tsouri, A. Sapio and J. Wilczewski, "An Investigation into Relaying of Creeping Waves for Reliable Low-Power Body Sensor Networking", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, Aug. 2011.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Securing OFDM over Wireless Time-Varying Channels using Sub-Carrier Over-Loading with Joint Signal Constellations", Eurasip Journal on Wireless Communications & Networking - Special Issue on Wireless Physical Layer Security, Volume 2009, Article ID 437824, 2009.
- G. R. Tsouri, D. Wulich and L. Goldfeld, "Enabling Dual Branch Switched Diversity in Compact Wireless Devices", IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Nov. 2008.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Capacity Analysis and Optimisation of OFDM with Distortionless PAPR Reduction", European Transactions on Telecommunications (ETT), Aug. 2008.
- M. S. Shamim, A. Mhatre, N. Mansoor, A. Ganguly and G. R. Tsouri, "Temperature-aware Wireless Network-on-Chip Architecture", IEEE International Green Computing Conference (IGCC), Nov. 2014.
- C. Torbit, K. Tomsic, J. Venkataraman, G. R. Tsouri, M. Laifenfeld and M. Dziatczak, "Investigation of Waveguide Effects in Intra-Vehicular Environments", IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), Jul. 2014.
- G. R. Tsouri and M. Laifenfeld, "Global Routing with Energy Balancing in Intra-Vehicular Environment", IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems (COMCAS) - Special Session on Automotive Communication, Oct. 2013.
- N. Argade and G. R. Tsouri, "Dynamic Routing Trees with Energy Harvesting Constraints for Wireless Body Area Networks", 8th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BODYNETS), Sept. 2013.
- R. Dautov and G. R. Tsouri,"Establishing Secure Measurement Matrix for Compressed Sensing using Wireless Physical Layer Security", IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), Jan. 2013.
- G. R. Tsouri, A. Prieto and N. Argade, "A Modified Dijkstra's Routing Algorithm for Increasing Network Lifetime in Wireless Body Area Networks", in 7th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BODYNETS), Sept. 2012.
- G. R. Tsouri and R. Dautov,"Evaluation of an Efficient Collision Resolving Protocol", IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems (COMCAS), Nov. 2011.
- G. R. Tsouri and J. Wilczewski,"Reliable Symmetric Key Generation for Body Area Networks using Wireless Physical Layer Security in the Presence of an On-Body Eavesdropper
", 4th International Symposium on Applied Sciences in Biomedical and Communication Technologies (ISABEL) - Invited Paper, Oct. 2011.
- M. H. Ostertag and G. R. Tsouri,"Reconstructing ECG Precordial Leads from a Reduced Lead Set using Independent Component Analysis", 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Sept. 2011.
- S. E. Lyshevski and G. R. Tsouri,"Molecular and BioMolecular Communication: Optical Waveguides and Possible Role of Microtubules", IEEE NANO 2011 Conference (NANO), Aug. 2011.
- G. R. Tsouri,"Towards Implementing a Fully Wireless Multiple-Lead Electrocardiograph", 5th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BODYNETS) - Invited Paper, Sept. 2010.
- M. Pecoraro, J. Venkataraman, G. R. Tsouri and S. Dianat,"Characterization of the Effects of the Human Head on Communication with Implanted Antennas", IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, July 2010.
- A. Sapio and G. R. Tsouri, "Low Power Body Sensor Network for Wireless ECG Based on Relaying of Creeping Waves at 2.4GHz", International Conference on Body Sensor Networks (BSN), June 2010.
- G. R. Tsouri and A. Sapio, "Method of Securing Resource-Constrained Wireless Enabled Devices via Channel Randomness", IEEE 28th International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), Jan. 2010.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "On Adaptive Biasing of Linear Power Amplifiers in Devices with OFDM Transceivers", IEEE 28th International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), Jan. 2010.
- R. Dabora, D. Wulich and G. R. Tsouri, "On Increasing Spectral Efficiency of Frequency Division Multiple Access Using Synchronized Superposition-Modulation", IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems (COMCAS), Nov. 2009.
- G. R. Tsouri, "Securing Wireless Communication with Implanted Medical Devices", IEEE International WoWMoM Workshop on Interdisciplinary Research on E-Health Services and Systems, May 2009.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Impact of Linear Power Amplifier Efficiency on Capacity of OFDM Systems with Clipping", IEEE 25th Convention of Electrical and Electronics Engineering in Israel, Dec. 2008.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Efficient Coding of Side Information for Selected Mapping PAPR Reduction", IEEE Wireless Telecommunications Symposium (WTS), Apr. 2008.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Reverse Piloting Protocol for Securing Wireless Time Varying Channels", IEEE Wireless Telecommunications Symposium (WTS), Apr. 2008.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "A Physical Transmission Security Layer for Wireless Multiple Access Communication Systems", European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO) - special session, Sep. 2007.
- D. Wulich and G. R. Tsouri, "Is PAPR Reduction Always Justified for OFDM?", European Wireless Conference (EW) - invited paper, Apr. 2007.
- G. R. Tsouri and D. Wulich, "Wireless Channel Access through Jointly Formed Signal Constellations", IEEE Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), Sep. 2006.
- G. R. Tsouri, D. Wulich and L. Goldfeld, "Enhancing Switched Diversity Systems", IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop (SAM), July 2004.
- D. Wulich, L. Goldfeld and G. R. Tsouri, "Peak to Average Power Ratio in Digital Communications", IST mobile & Wireless Communication Summit, June 2003.
- M. Laifenfeld, G. R. Tsouri, General Motors, "Wireless data security between vehicle components", US patent pending, 2015.
- M. Laifenfeld, G. R. Tsouri, Eviatar Tron, General Motors, "Using a vehicle structure as a medium for communication and power distribution", US 20150039312A1, Feb. 2015.
- G. R. Tsouri, S. Dianat, Rochester Institute of Technology, "Method and System for Contactless Detection of Cardiac Activity", US 20140276118, Sep. 2014.
- G. R. Tsouri, D. Wulich, SigNexT Wireless "Joint Constellation Multiple Access", US 8,223,882B2, 2012.
- S. Kyal, L. Mesta, G. R. Tsouri, S. Dianat, Xerox Corp., "Estimating Cardiac Pulse Recovery From Multi-Channel Source Data Via Constrained Source Separation", US 13/247,683 Patent Pending, Sept. 2011.
- G. R. Tsouri, Rochester Institute of Technology, "Methods for Monitoring Procedure Compliance and Apparatuses Thereof", US Patent Pending, 2010.
- D. Wulich, G. R. Tsouri, Ron Dabora, SigNexT Wireless, "Using Maximal Sum-Rate Mutual Information to Optimize JCMA Constellations", PCT/IB2010/054991, Apr. 2010.
- G. R. Tsouri, Rochester Institute of Technology, "Methods Establishing a Symmetric Encryption Key and Systems Thereof", US 2010/0313025A1, 2009.
- G. R. Tsouri, "Wireless Body Area Network", The Rochester Engineer - Feature Article, Feb. 2014.
- G. R. Tsouri, "Optimized OFDM for Wireless Time Varying Channels," Ph.D. dissertation - Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva Israel, 2008.
- G. R. Tsouri, "Enhancing Switched Diversity Systems," M.Sc. thesis - Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva Israel, 2004.
- Introduction to Communication Systems (undergrad).
- Digital Data Communication (graduate).
- Communication Networks (graduate).
- Wireless Communications (graduate).
Service & Outreach Activities
- Research Proposal Reviewer, Israel Science Foundation (ISF), 2013.
- Program Committee Vice Chair (Special Session on Energy Harvesting in BANs) and Special Sessions Chair: 8th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BodyNets 2013), September 2013.
- Technical Program Track Chair (Networking and Communication Track): 7th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BodyNets 2012), September 2012.
- BodyNets 2012, Session Chair: "Wearable Computing" & Panelist: "Bodynets 5 Years From Now", September 2012.
- Research Proposal Review Panelist, National Science Foundation (NSF), Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) Program, 2012 and 2013.
- IEEE Globecom 2011, session chair: "Communications & System Security Symposium: Secure Routing II", December 2011.
- Associate Editor for Elsevier's Journal of Computers and Electrical Engineering, 2009-2012.
- Guest Editor for Journal of Computer Networks and Communications - Special Issue on Spectrally Efficient Digital Communication in the Presence of Nonlinear Distortion.
- Reviewer for IEEE/SPIE Journals, Transactions and Conferences.
- Faculty Advisor for IEEE RIT Student Chapter (2009-2015).
- Member of E3 Engineering and Technology Fair organizing committee (2012 - present).
Membership in Professional Societies
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- American Association for Engineering Education (ASEE)
Past Graduate Students
- Cigdem Polat (MS 2015) - Grad Paper: BlueScan Android Platform for Supporting Research in Body Area Networks. See link to Android App: Link.
- Quang Huynh (MS 2015) - Grad Paper: Tracking Social Interactions via Time Varying Path Loss Estimation of Wireless Transmissions.
- Stephanie Zambito, (MS 2015) - Grad Paper: On the Benefits of Creeping Waves Antennas in Reducing Interference between Wireless Body Area Networks (Joined: IBM).
- Kyle Tomsic (MS 2014) - Thesis: Analysis of the Effects of Pre- and Post-Processing Methods on Videoplethysmography (Joined: Lexmark).
- Zheng Li (MS 2014) - Grad Paper: Performance of VideoPlethysmography Techniques in Alternative Color Spaces (Joined: Bendix).
- Michael Ostertag (MS 2014) - Thesis: ECG-Leads Reconstruction using Independent Component Analysis (Joined: Blackbox Biometrics).
- Puey Wei Tan (MS 2013) - Thesis: Low Power Off-Body Link for Wireless Body Area Networks (joined: Fidelity Investments)
- Nikhil Argade (MS 2013) - Thesis: Global Routing Algorithms for Body Area Networks (Joined: Apple).
- Survi Kyal (MS 2012) - Thesis: Constrained Independent Component Analysis for Non-Obtrusive Pulse Rate Measurements Using a Webcam. Co-supervised with Dr. Dianat (Joined: Xerox Corporation).
- Alvaro Prieto (MS 2011) - Thesis: Efficient Routing for On-Body Communication (Joined: Texas Instruments).
- Jeffery Wilczewski (MS 2011) - Thesis: Experimental Investigation into Novel Methods of Reliable and Secure On-Body Communications with Low System Overheads (Joined: GE Microwave Data Systems).
- Ruslan Dautov (MS 2011) - Thesis: Efficient Collision Resolution Protocol for Highly Populated Wireless Networks (Joined: RIT CS PhD Program).
- Ryan Johnson (MS 2010) - Grad Paper: Radio Identification Technologies in Healthcare with Applications for Handwashing Compliance Monitoring (Joined: GE Microwave Data Systems).
- David Wagner (MS 2010) - Thesis: Analysis of Symmetric Key Establishment based on Reciprocal Channel Quantization (Joined: Harris RF).
- Michael Pecoraro (MS 2010) - Thesis: Channel Modelling for Inner-Body Communication. Co-supervised with Dr. Venkataraman and Dr. Dianat (Joined: Syracuse Research Corporation).
- Adrian Sapio (MS 2010) - Thesis: Low Power Body Sensor Network Design Based on Relaying of Creeping Waves in the Unlicensed 2.4GHz Band (Joined: Johns Hopkins University-Applied Physics Laboratory).