Selected Publications: (T. W. Smith Patents)
1. T. W. Smith and G. E. Wnek, “Modulation of refractive index in polymer composites: Toward a synthetic bio-optic lens.” Proc of SPIE Vol. 5051, Smart Structures and Materials 2003: Electroactive Polymer Actuators and Devices (EAPAD), Editors: Yoseph Bar-Cohen. (to be published)
2. Y. Lin, T. W. Smith and P. Alexandridis, “Adsorption Properties of a Polymeric Siloxane surfactant Onto Carbon Black particles Dispersed in Mixtures of Water with Polar Organic Solvents,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 2002 255(1), 1-9.
3. Y. Lin, T. W. Smith and P. Alexandridis, “Adsorption of Amphiphilic Copolymers on Hydrophobic Particles in Aqueous Media,” Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology 2002 23, No. 4, 539-553.
Maura A. Sweeney Thomas W. Smith Andreas Langner Melvin Croucher Massoud
Miri , Alex Klymachyov, Sam Kaplan and Dwight Tshudy, “Colloidal Particles
Derived from a Complex of Phosphotungstic Acid and Ethoxylated Surfactants,”
J. of Colloid and Interface Science 2002 253(1), 53-61.
5. Y. Lin, T. W. Smith and P. Alexandridis, “Adsorption of a Rake-Type siloxane Surfactant onto Carbon Black Nanoparticles Dispersed in Aqueous Media,” Langmuir 2002, 18, 6147-6158.
6. Yining Lin, Paschalis Alexandridis (The State University of New York, Buffalo), and Thomas W. Smith, (Xerox Corporation); "Adsorption of an Amphiphilic Siloxane Graft Copolymer on Hydrophobic Particles," Polymer Preprints, 2000, 42(1), 246-247.
7. T. W. Smith, D. J. Luca, S. Kaplan and M. A. Abkowitz, “Processible, Environmentally Stable, Conducting Polymer Composites,” Polymer Preprints, 1998, 39(1), 58.
8. J. M. Serpico, G. E. Wnek and S. Krause, (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute); and T. W. Smith, D. J. Luca, and A. VanLaeken (Xerox Corporation), "Electric Field Induced Morphologies in Polystyrene/Poly(styrene-b-ethylene oxide) Blends." Macromolecules, 1992, 25, 6373-6374.
9. J. M. Serpico, G. E. Wnek and S. Krause, (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute); and T. W. Smith, D. J. Luca, and A. VanLaeken (Xerox Corporation), "Effect of Block Copolymer on the Electric Field Induced Morphology of Polymer Blends." Macromolecules, 1991, 24, 6879-6881.
10. T. W. Smith, Poly(imidazoles), Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering,Vol. 12, Second Edition (1988), John Wiley & Sons.
11. J. M. Gold, D. M. Teegarden, K. M. McGrane, D. J. Luca, P. A. Falcigno, C. C.Chen and T.W. Smith, “Cation Binding At the Air Water Interface by Macromolecules Bearing Pendant Crown Ether Moieties,” J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 1986, 108, 5827.
12. C. C. Chen and T.W. Smith, “Quantitative Evaluation of the Ion-Binding Characteristics of Poly(4'-Vinylbenzo-18-crown-6,” J. Polym. Sci., Polymer Symposium 1986, 74, 171.
13. T. W. Smith, Steven D. Smith and Santokh S. Badesha, “Chemical Alloying, A Novel Method for the Preparation of Homogeneous SexTe1-x Alloys,” J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 1984, 106, 7247.
14. Thomas W. Smith and David J. Luca, Synthesis and Reaction of “Poly(1,3-Octadienyl Iron Tricarbonyl) in Modification of Polymers,” C. Carraher and J. Moore, Eds., Plenum Press, New York (1983).
15. T. W. Smith and D. Wychick, “Colloidal Iron Dispersion Prepared via the Polymer-Catalyzed Decomposition of Iron Pentacarbonyl,” 1980, J. Phys. Chem., 84, 1621.
T. W. Smith and R.A. Cheatham, Functional Polymers in the Generation of Colloidal Dispersions of Amorphous Selenium, Macromolecules