- Ph.D. Industrial Engineering, 1995, North Carolina State University
- M.S. Industrial Engineering, 1991, State University of New York at Buffalo
- B.S. Systems Engineering, 1989, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- 2014 – present Program Faculty Member, Materials Science & Engineering, RIT
- 2011 - present Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering, RIT
- 2010 - present Core Faculty, Microsystems Engineering, RIT
- 2009 – 2011 Associate Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering, RIT
- 2001 – 2009 Associate Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering, NC State University
- 2005 – 2009 Affiliate Faculty, Biomedical Engineering, NC State University
- 2002 – 2006 Director, Furniture Mfg. and Management Center, NC State University
- 1995 - 2001 Assistant Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering, NC State University
- 1994 - 1995 Visiting Researcher, Industrial and Systems Engineering, NC State University
- 1990 - 1991 Engineering Intern, Carborundum Division of British Petroleum
- Walsh, R., and Cormier, D. (2005) Machining and Metalworking Handbook 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill, NY.
- Parekh, D., Cormier, D., and Dickey, M. "Multi-functional Printing: Incorporating Electronics into 3-D Parts Made by Additive Manufacturing", to appear in Additive Manufacturing, Amit Bandyopadhyay (editor), CRC Press.
- Khatri-Chhetri, P., Datar, A., and Cormier, D. (2012) "Novel SOFC Processing Techniques Employing Printed Materials." Advances in Materials Science for Environmental and Energy Technologies: Ceramic Transactions 236 (2012): 129.
- Harrysson, O., and Cormier, D. (2005) "Direct Fabrication of Custom Orthopedic Implants Using Electron Beam Melting Technology", in The Use of Advanced Manufacturing Technology for Medical Applications, I. Gibson (editor), John Wiley & Sons, West Sussex, UK.
- Cormier, D., Young, R., and Bartlett, W. (2002) "Evaluation of Rapid Prototyping and Tooling Technologies," in Economic Evaluation of Advanced Technologies: Techniques and Case Studies, J. Lavelle, H. Liggett, and H. Parsaei (editors), Taylor & Francis, New York, NY, pp. 35 - 50.
- Weintraub, A., Zozom, A., Cormier, D., and Hodgson, (2001) T. "Evaluating Alternative Process Plans In Large Manufacturing Systems" in Computer-aided Process and Assembly Planning, J. Usher (editor), Gordon and Breach, Chapter 12.
- Cormier, D., and O'Grady, P. (1997) "A Constraint-Based Genetic Algorithm for Concurrent Engineering", in Manufacturing Decision Support Systems, Hamid Parsaei (editor), Chapman and Hall, pp. 256-281.
Refereed Journal Papers
- Yang, L., Harrysson, O., West, H., and Cormier, D. “Mechanical Properties of 3D Re-Entrant Honeycomb Auxetic Structures Realized Via Additive Manufacturing”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, to appear.
- Yang, L., Harrysson, O., Cormier, D., West, H., Gong, H., and Stucker, B. (2015) “Additive Manufacturing of Metal Cellular Structures: Design and Fabrication” Journal of Materials, 67(3), http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11837-015-1322-y.
- Yang, L. Harrysson, O., Park, C., West, H., Cormier, D.,and Peters, K. (2015) “Low-energy drop weight performance of cellular sandwich panels”, Rapid Prototyping Journal, 21(4), pp. 433-442, http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/RPJ-08-2013-0083.
- Yang, L. Harrysson, O., West, H., and Cormier, D., (2013) “A Comparison of Bending Properties for Cellular Core Sandwich Panels”, Materials Sciences and Applications, V4, pp. 471-477, http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/msa.2013.48057.
- Yang, L. Harrysson, O., West, H., and Cormier, D., (2012) “Modeling of uniaxial compression in a 3D periodic re-entrant lattice structure”, Journal of Materials Science, 67(3), DOI: 10.1007/s10853-012-6892-2.
- Yang, L., Cormier, D., West, H., Harrysson, O., and, Knowlson, K. (2012) “Non-Stochastic Ti-6Al-4V Foam Structures With Negative Poisson’s Ratio”, Materials Science and Engineering A, pp. 579-585, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2012.08.053.
- Kumar, V., Cormier, D., and Harrysson, O. (2012) “Electrical Conductivity of Hexagonal Periodic Lattice Structures”, Virtual & Physical Prototyping, 7(1), pp. 81-90.
- Yang, L. Harrysson, O., West, H., and Cormier, D., (2012) “Compressive properties of Ti-6Al-4V auxetic mesh structures made by Electron Beam Melting”, Acta Materialia, V60, pp. 3370-3379. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2012.03.015
- Srisawadi, S., Cormier, D., Harrysson, O., and Modak, S. (2012) “Computational Design of Electrode Networks for Preferentially Aligned Short Fiber Composite Component Fabrication via Dielectrophoresis”, International Journal of CAD/CAM, 12(1).
- Purser, M., Richards, A., Cook, R., Osborne, J., Cormier, D., and Buckner, G., (2011) “A Novel Shape Memory Alloy Annuloplasty Ring for Minimally Invasive Surgery: Design, Fabrication and Evaluation”, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 39(1), pp. 367-377.
- Jernigan, S., Chanoit, G., Veeramani, A., Owen, B., Hilliard, M., Cormier, D., Laffitte, B., and Buckner, G. (2010) "A Laparoscopic Knot-Tying Device for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery", European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, 37(3), pp. 626 - 630.
- Purser, M., Richards, A., Cook, R., Osborne, J., Cormier, D., and Buckner, G. (2009) "Evaluation of a Shape Memory Alloy Reinforced Annuloplasty Band for Robot-Assisted Mitral Valve Repair", Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 88(4), pp. 1312-1316.
- Cansizoglu, O., Harrysson, O., West, H., Cormier, D., and Mahale, T. (2008) “Applications of Structural Optimization in Direct Metal Fabrication”, Rapid Prototyping Journal, 14(2), pp. 114-122.
- Harrysson, O, Cansizoglu, O., Marcellin-Little, D., Cormier, D., and West, H. (2008) "Direct Metal Fabrication of Titanium Implant Components With Tailored Materials and Mechanical Properties Using Electron Beam Melting Technology", Materials Science & Engineering C, 28(3), pp. 366-373.
- Cansizoglu, O., Harrysson, O., Cormier, D., West, H., and Mahale, T.(2008) ”Properties of Ti-6Al-4V Non-stochastic Lattice Structures Fabricated Via Electron Beam Melting”, Materials Science & Engineering A, 492(1-2), pp. 468-474.
- Cormier, D., Harrysson, O., Mahale, T., and West, H. (2007) “Freeform Fabrication of Titanium Aluminide via Electron Beam Melting Using Prealloyed and Blended Powders,” Research Letters in Materials Science, vol. 2007, Article ID 34737, 4 pages, 2007. doi:10.1155/2007/34737
- Jernigan, S.R., Buckner, G.D., Eischen, J.W., and Cormier, D.R. (2007) "Finite Element Modeling of the Left Atrium to Facilitate the Design of an Endoscopic Atrial Retractor", ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, V129, pp. 825-837.
- Aman, R., West, H., and Cormier, D. (2007) "An Evaluation of Loose Tenon Joint Strength In Furniture Applications", Forest Products Journal, 58(3), pp. 61-64.
- Cormier, D., Harrysson, O., and West, H. (2004) "Characterization of High Alloy Steel Produced Via Electron Beam Melting", Rapid Prototyping Journal, 10(1), pp. 35 - 41.
- Cormier, D., Harrysson, O., and Mahale, T. (2003) "Rapid Manufacturing in the 21st Century", Journal of the Chinese Institute of Industrial Engineers, 20(3), pp. 193 - 201.
- Harrysson, O., Cormier, D., Marcellin-Little, D., and Jajal, K. (2003) “Application of SFF to Preoperative Planning and Surgical Rehearsal for Treatment of Limb Deformities in Dogs”, Rapid Prototyping Journal, 9 (1), pp. 37 – 42.
- Zozom, A.J. Jr., T.J. Hodgson, R.E. King, A.J. Weintraub, and D. Cormier, (2003) "Integrated Job Release and Shop Floor Scheduling to Minimize WIP and Meet Due-Dates," International Journal of Production Research,41(1), pp. 31 - 45.
- Cormier, D., Taylor, J. and West, H. (2002) "An Investigation of Selective Coloring With 3-D Laser Printing", Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 4(2), pp. 148 - 152.
- Cormier, D. and Taylor, J. (2001) "A Process for Solvent Welded Prototype Tooling", Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 17(1/2), pp. 151 – 157.
- Taylor, J., Cormier, D., Joshi, S., and Venkataraman, V. (2001) "Contoured Edge Slice Generation in Rapid Prototyping Via 5-axis Machining" Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 17(1/2), pp. 13 - 18.
- Cormier, D., Unnanon, K., and Sanii, E. (2000) "Specifying Non-Uniform Cusp Heights As A Potential Aid for Adaptive Slicing", Rapid Prototyping Journal, 6(3), pp. 204 - 211.
- Cormier, D. and Unnanon, K. (2000) "Virtual Interference Checking of Furniture Assemblies", Forest Products Journal, 50(5), pp. 1-5.
- Zozom, A., Weintraub, A., Cormier, D., and Hodgson, T. (2000) "Implementation of a Virtual Factory Cell Scheduling System" Engineering Valuation and Cost Analysis, Vol. 2, pp. 395 - 407.
- Weintraub, A., Cormier, D., Hodgson, T., King, R., Wilson, J., and Zozom, A. (1999) "Scheduling With Alternatives: A Link Between Process Planning and Scheduling" IIE Transactions, Vol 31, pp. 1093 – 1102.
- Hodgson, T., Cormier, D., Weintraub, A., and Zozom, A. (1998) "Note. Satisfying Due Dates in Large Job Shops" Management Science 44(10), pp. 1442 - 1446.
- Cormier, D., and O'Grady, P., (1998) "Survival of the Fittest Designs: Using Evolution In Concurrent Engineering" International Journal of Production Research, 36(6), pp 1679 – 1697.
- Weintraub, A., and Cormier, D., (1997) "A Testbed for Scheduling with Alternative Process Plans," International Journal of Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, 3, No. 3, pp. 231 - 238.
- Kim, K., Cormier, D., O'Grady, P., and Young, R. (1995) "A System for Design and Concurrent Engineering Under Imprecision," Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 6, pps. 11 - 27.
Professor Cormier has secured in excess of $12M in research funding as PI or Co-PI during his career.
Sampling of Federal Government Funding Sources
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- Air Force Research Lab (AFRL)
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Department of Agriculture (DOA)
Sampling of Industry Funding Sources
- Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne
- Northrup Grumman
- General Motors
- LiquidX Materials
- Intrinsiq Materials
- DRS Technical Services
Graduate Student Advising
Professor Cormier has advised 8 PhD students and 23 MS students to date.