Make some money...
Now, you too are going to have an opportunity to make it big when you build your very own E-Commerce Site. Or, in other words:
using php and MySQL, you will create an E-Commerce Site to sell some group of consumer goods.
- Your third project is an addition to the first 2 projects.
You will build an E-Commerce section for your site. This section
will have the ability to sell at least 3 different category of items with
3 specific items in each. If you are selling shoes, you could sell basketball (with 3
different shoes in the 'basketball' category), running (with 3 different shoes in the 'running'
- Installation and submission:
- The path to your project on vega: ~abc1234/pfw/project3/
- The starting point for your project: index.php
- Submit scripts to the dropbox in your course's FC conference.
- You will supply me with a SQL dump of the database tables you used in this project
(including any poll tables used) Hint: mysqldump
- In the note to which your scripts are attached, please make sure that
you provide a username and password that can be used to test your project.
- Basic functionality of the e-commerce site
- All of the polling activity MUST show up in index.php, all of the e-commerce activity can show up on 1 separate page
- If you do it on 2 pages, make sure the second page 'looks' like the first
- E-Commerce customer section:
What the individual customer can do:
- Buy one (or more) of each item.
- They will have to enter email (real), street address and credit card information (fake).
- Change their minds later about what/how much they have bought (at least until they click on the 'final purchase' button)
- Once they click on the final purchase button (after they entered the information above), they will receive an email (to their email entered above) confirming their order.
- That email should include what they bought and how much they spent.
- Email should be formatted nicely
- E-Commerce administrative section:
Authorized administrative users can administer the content of e-commerce site from the web via
this interface (NOT for general, public users of the site).
- authenticate yourself
- Users must login and their username and password
are checked against a database of users. Only after
sucessfully logging in can they access the admin
pages. Use session variables to enforce this.
- administrative functionality
- add a new item
- The admin can add any new item to any category they choose.
This will include the addition of the price, description, image url, and
quantity on hand
- delete an item
- don't allow the deletion of the last item of that category, it will lead to other problems
- modify an item
- Give some thought to this. Should you be able to
modify a poll that is over? How about the current active poll?
You may want to use the field in the polls table for whether
a poll is active or not to make your policy easier to implement.
- add a new category
- ability to add any category of sale items.
- delete a category
- ability to delete any category of sale items.
- Quantity warnings
- If any item's quantity drops below 50, have an email sent to the administrator with a warning message
- Warning message will include which item is low and the current quantity
- What if the quantity goes down to 0? The product shouldn't show on the page...
Some Ideas (if in doubt, ask):
Give the user the ability to see if there are only a few left in stock
Random featured product on home page
Calculate a discount based upon
- previous purchases
- order amount greater than some pre-determined amount
Allow user to view their purchase history
Be Creative: Think of neat stuff that your site needs! (Be sure to list the extras in your post to the drop-box.)