Physics 389, University Workshop Physics IIA
FIRST DAY HANDOUTS:
TA Section 03: M,R: Joseph Casey firstname.lastname@example.org, W,F: Robert Karl email@example.com
TA Section 04: Timothy Pullian firstname.lastname@example.org
Lab Make-up TA: (Fridays 12-1:45 PM in room GOS-3178). Jon Beaumariage email@example.com
Magic Grade Calculator. Use this spreadsheet to track your progress
and estimate your grade in the course.
Reminder: The Final Exam (2hrs) is 6:00 PM Tuesday Nov 13th in Room GOS-1250.
Here's a copy of the formula sheet
you'll be given during the tests and the Final, if you'd like to look it over ahead of time.
It includes a table of moments of inertia.
Do not bring your own, it will be included with the tests.
REVIEW OF PHYS 311:
Much of what we do in Phys II builds upon concepts developed in Phys I.
If you need a quick review of something, try the
notes for 369. (Also available from my main homepage).
SUMMARIES AND WORKSHEETS:
We'll be using the Activities Manual for Phys 312 and 389, but
I'll be introducing some extra sheets for Phys 389, so I'll keep a running
list of the sheets used here for reference, with links to the ones that are not in the Course Manual.
- 1A: Summary Sheet (fill out as we go),
- 1B: Numbers,
- 1C: Pulley and Mass Problems,
Math Background, Quiz
- 1D: Moment of Inertia Introduction, finished Pulley and Mass Problems
- Quick Summary of Week 1
- 2A: R.H. Rules, Cross Products,
Moments of Inertia, Part I,
- 2B: Lab #1 Part I Data Sheet
- 2C: Rolling and Ramps, Uncertainty Exercise, Quiz
- 2D: Lab #1 Part II Data Sheet
- Quick Summary of Week 2
- 3A: Pulley and Mass Practice
- 3B: Parallel-Axis Practice
- 3C: 1-d Moment of Inertia Integrations, Swinging Rods, Quiz
- 3D: 2-d and 3-d Moment of Inertia Integrations
- Quick Summary of Week 3
- 4A: Angular Momentum Introduction
- 4B: Angular Momentum Problems, Ball Drop
- 4C: Forces on Extended Bodies (Statics), Quiz
- 4D: Statics problems, Physics Cranes
- Quick Summary of Week 4
- 5A: Linear Elasticity (Stress-Strain Equation)
- 5B: Simple Harmonic Motion
- 5C: Physical Pendulum, Torsion Pendulum, Quiz
- 5D: Lab #2 Simple Harmonic Motion
- Quick Summary of Week 5
- 6A: Physical Pendulum Activity
- 6B: More Simple Harmonic Motion Problems
- 6C: Introduction to Waves, Adding Waves, Quiz
- 6D: More Waves
- Quick Summary of Week 6
- 7A: Comparing Waves on a String and Sound, C&D Interference
- 7B: Beat Frequencies, More Sound Problems
- 7C: Doppler Effect, Decibel Scale, Quiz
- 7D: Waves on a String Minilab
- Quick Summary of Week 7
- 8A: Waves on a Rod
- 8B: Light, Reflection and Refraction
- 8C: Refraction Problems, Quiz
- 8D: Thin Lens Minilab
- Quick Summary of Week 8
- 9A: Double Slit Experiment
- 9B: Multiple Slits and Diffraction Gratings
- 9C: Single-slit Diffraction, Interference Problems, Quiz
- 9D: Lab #3: Measuring with Diffraction
- Quick Summary of Week 9
- 10A: Thin Films
- 10B: Polarization, Malus' Law
- 10C: Interferometers, Interference Problems, Quiz
- 10D: Course Review
- Quick Summary of Week 10
COURSE LECTURE NOTES:
I've written out a full set of lecture notes for this course as
a possible study aid and summary of the text. Sometimes seeing things
a little differently helps. It also emphasizes the main points and fills in a few blanks in the text.
Just another service I provide.
This page maintained by Greg Trayling. Last modified Nov 9th, 2012.