Skillet Corn Bread
Active time: 10 min, Start to finish: 25 min
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal (preferably stone-ground; not coarse)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Special equipment: a 9 1/2- to 10-inch well-seasoned cast-iron skillet
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Add butter to skillet and heat in oven until melted, about 5 minutes, then carefully pour into a medium bowl.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk and eggs into melted butter, then stir into cornmeal mixture until just combined.
- Pour into hot skillet and bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool in skillet on a rack 5 minutes, then invert onto a platter and serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 servings.
Gourmet, July 2004