Current areas of reseach: Imaging Science, Target Detection, Data Mining,
Topological / Graph-theoretic Methods in Imaging, Human Population Models
Previous areas of reseach: Chaos, Topology, Economic Population Modleing, Game Theory
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency:
2007 NGA University Research Initiative Grant (CoPI) $750,000 over 5 years (est.)
2007-2008 NGA Visiting Scientist (PI) $72,000
National Science Foundation:
DMS 552418 9/6/2005 REU Site: Extremal Graph Theory and Dynamical Systems at RIT (CoPI) $120,000
DUE 536364 5/18/2005 Real World STEM Application Modules (CoPI) $119,000
DUE 442740 6/17/2004 Topology and Its Applications (PI) Awarded $75,000
2004 Deans Summer Fellowship, approximately $4,000
2003 Deans Summer Fellowship, approximately $5,000
- 2009 W. Basener, A. Schaum, D. Messinger, Dimensionality of Hyperspectral Imagery, In Proc. SPIE, Algorithms and Technologies for Multispectral, Hyperspectral and Ultraspectral Imagery XIII, (Orlando, Fla), April 2009. (accepted)
- 2009 W. Basener, T. Doster, D. Messinger, Enhanced Detection and Visualization of Anomalies, In Proc. SPIE, Algorithms and Technologies for Multispectral, Hyperspectral and Ultraspectral Imagery XIII, Vol. 6565, (Orlando, Fla), April 2009. (accepted)
- 2009 W. Basener and M. Gartley, Anomaly Detection in Multispectral - Polarimetric Imagery, In Proc. SPIE, Algorithms and Technologies for Multispectral, Hyperspectral and Ultraspectral Imagery XIII, (Orlando, Fla), April 2009. (accepted)
- 2007 W. Basener, B. Brooks, M. Radin, and T. Wiandt, Dynamics of a Population Model for Extinction and Sustainability in Ancient Civilizations, Accepted by Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology and Life Sciences
- 2007 W. Basener, Ariel Schaum, D. Messinger, Inherient Dimensionality of Hyerspectral Data, accepted to Journal of Online Remote Sensing
- 2007 W. Basener, B. Brooks, M. Radin, and T. Wiandt, Rat Instigated Human Population Collapse on Easter Island, accepted to The Journal of Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology, and the Life Sciences.
- 2006 W. Basener, K. Parwani, and T. Wiandt, Open Problems Minimal Flows, Chapter in Open Problems in Topology II 2006.
- 2006 W. Basener, B. Brooks, and D. Ross, “The Brouwer Fixed Point Theorem Applied to Rumour Transmission”. Appl. Math. Lett. 19(8): 841-842 (2006)
- 2006 W. Basener, The Geometry of Minimal Flows, Topology and its Applications.
- 2006 W. Basener, Transverse Disks, Symbolic Dynamics, Homology Vectors, and Thurston-Nielson Theory (to appear in Topology and its Applications.)
- 2006 W. Basener and M. Sullivan, Periodic Prime Knots in Topologically Transitive Flows on 3-Manifolds, Topology and Its Applications 153 (2006), no. 8, 1236--1240.
- 2005 W. Basener and C. V. Lutzer, Twisted Solenoids and Maps whose Minimal sets are Cantor Sets (Topology Proceedings)
- 2005 W. Basener and D. Ross, Booming and Crashing Populations and Easter Island, SIAM Journal of Applied Math, 65 (2004/05), no. 2, 684—701.)
- 2004 W. Basener, Knots and Topologically Transitive Flows, Topology, 43 (2004), no. 3, 697--703.
- 2004 W. Basener, Every Nonsingular C1 Flow on a Closed Manifold of Dimension Greater than Two has a Global Transverse Disk, Topology and its Applications, Volume 135, Issues 1-3, 1 January 2004, Pages 131-148
- 2002 W. Basener, Global Cross Sections and Minimal Flows, Topology and its Applications, Volume 121, Issue 3, 30 June 2002, Pages 415-442.
- 2009 Anomaly Detection in Multispectral - Polarimetric Imagery, Spring 2008 SPIE Defense and Security Symposium
- 2009 Enhanced Detection and Visualization of Anomalies, Spring 2008 SPIE Defense and Security Symposium
- 2009 Dimensionality Estimation of Hyperspectral Data, Spring 2008 SPIE Defense and Security Symposium
- 2008 Topological Anomaly Detection and Clutter Removed Matched Filters, 2008 Spectral Analyst Exchange Forum, NGA St. Louis
- 2008 A TAD-Enhanced Matched Filter Algorithm, NSA
- 2007 Topological Anomaly Detection, IPAM NGA meeting, University of California, November
- 2007 Anomaly Detection Using Topology, Spring 2007 SPIE Defense and Security Symposium
- 2006 Collapse of States and sub-state Societies, Third Annual Conference on Mathematical Methods in Counterterrorism, Institute for World Politics, September 2006
- 2006 Tinker toys, Superconductors, and the Universe: Topology and the Changing Face of Science, Keynote Address, Undergraduate Research Symposium
- 2006 Applied Topology, Poster Session for NSF Funded CCLI projects
- 2005 Chaos, Ancient Civilizations, and Extinction Presentation at the Special Session on Extinction, Periodicity, and Chaos in Population and Epidemic Models at the 2005 AMS Spring Central Section Meeting, Lubbock, TX, April 8-10, 2005
- 2005 A Dichotomy for Minimal Flows, presentation at the 2005 Summer Conference on Topology and Its Applications
- 2004 Index Theory, the Frame Bundle, and Condensed Matter Physics, Presentation at the Spring topology and Dynamical Systems Conference
- 2004 Population Dynamics of Ancient Civilizations CMS Winter 2004 meeting, Special Session on Dynamical Systems